Sunday, February 13, 2011

Let’s do a Top Ten List

I find that I have a problem writing about whisky – I tend to like them all.  And, while it’s true that I’m willing to give just about every distillery that takes the time to lay down a spirit for around 7 to 12 years the benefit of the doubt, I also have my favorites (and less favorite whiskies as well).  So I decided to come up with a list of Top Ten essentials I would stock my liquor cabinet with.  I’m not talking about rare or unbelievably expensive bottles (so no SMWS bottles or 40 year old Highland Parks on this list – but I’ll still accept them as gifts).  These bottles are typically available at better liquor stores in the US and you’ll probably see a few of them in some nicer bars (or all of them if it’s Pipers Pub, I assume):

  1. Ardbeg 10 year old
  2. Highland Park 12 year old
  3. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
  4. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
  5. Glenkinchie 10 year old
  6. Ardmore
  7. BenRiach
  8. Lagavulin (too much Islay? meh)
  9. Oban
  10. Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old

There you have it, a mix of Islay, Lowland, Highland, Speyside and islands.  Also a mix of finishes and maturation.

OK, well report back to me when you have them all in your liquor cabinet and I’ll stop by!

5 comments:

  1. Swanny - I love Oban as my 'stock' whisky. I'm not into the super peaty, super smoky stuff. I also very much enjoyed the Highland Park 12 when I had that. What can you recommend for me to try next? (Oh by the way, it's Darren Bonnell here)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darren,

    If you're into the island, less peaty whiskies, take a look at Scapa. It's also from Orkney (like HP). For something a little different, but not smoky, try a lowland like Glenkinchie or Auchentoshen.

    Thanks for my first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Swanny -

    I'll burn through the remainders of my Mac 12 and JW Green (both Christmas gifts from my staff at work) and then I think I'll pick up some Scapa. Keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete